Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Good to the last dose

Tomorrow is my last radiation treatment - woo hoo!  While I am pretty excited about it, it seems I can't quite muster the energy tonight to do much about it.  I am feeling incredibly tired.

We had a great weekend, Bob and I.  We've been seeing alot shows at the Powerhouse Theater at Vassar College again this year.  This weekend we were scheduled to see 3 - Friday, Saturday and Sunday!!!  Knowing it would be too much for us, we gave the Saturday night tickets to Jay from our office. 

Off we went to see February House with Barbara, Allen, Joel and Nadine... let's just say it wasn't our favorite show of summer.  Oh that's right - except for Bob - much to my surprise he really liked it!   I was just not connecting to the music or the story but somehow Bob found the meaning in it all. Well, it just goes to show you never know what a person's going to like or dislike - even after 26 years!

Saturday I went to a Zumba class out in Millbrook and ran some hills.  We went car shopping for Bob that day too - that was fun!!  Hopefully, he'll get the car that makes us feel like we are on vacation VERY soon! After that, we crashed a 21st birthday party to listen to a friend's band and we were supposed to move onto an outdoor concert, but instead we opted to stay.  All I can say is - I laughed so hard at the drunkenness around me!  Our friend was the drummer of this garage band of 50+ guys - they were pretty good until they started the 3rd set after several rounds of shots!!  The dance floor was funny too - imagine Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies dancing with black Mack - one of the drummer's friends.  She smacked him repeatedly, hugged him then turned around for us to see that she had wet her pants!!!  I lost it at that point.... funny night.

Sunday I hit the track for my long run and then Bob and I took the bikes to the Rail Trail for 15 miles.  In between we had a little incident with the M.I.L. which I'll reserve for later - but it was off to another show at the Powerhouse with Barbara and Allen.  This time is was a cute children's show - Island Musical.  Very newly written and still very much in progress from Dar Williams - a fellow Beaconite!  It was short but fun. Afterward, we went to the Karma Lounge to see the Differents - good food and great music!

Why am I telling all this?  To prove a point - I was very tired when I got home last night.  It wasn't very late, maybe around 8pm when we got home.  My body was buzzing like it does when I am overtired.  I attributed it to all the activity of the weekend, of the past 2 weekends!  No real down time just to recoup and recover.

Today, I went to Dyson for my 2nd to last radiation treatment, as usual.  It was exciting to know this was my last week.  They promptly brought me in and prepped me for 2 angles - the 3rd was dropped as part of the plan.  Also, the bolus was dropped a week or so ago because of the reaction my skin was having.  I asked to keep the bolus - for no apparent reason but why not!  So here it is:

So, this thing, would sit on top of me like armor and would simulate another layer of skin.  Thus pulling the radiation closer to the surface of my real skin.  I think it's cool looking - almost like a piece of art or something!

First time I've seen Dr. F in about a month - he's been away on vacation.  He asked how I was feeling and was surprised when I told him I felt fine - no fatigue. He warned me that it could happen at anytime.  The wave of fatigue/tiredness could hit me now, next week or even 6 months from now!

I think he jinxed me.  I was so tired when I got home that I found myself laying in my old familiar spot on the sofa.  The same thing I had done countless times before during my chemo treatments.  I needed a couple of hours of rest but even that didn't really help me get back to speed.  I'm hoping this was an anomaly and not the norm for a while.  I have my last treatment tomorrow, a dance night tomorrow night and we're off to see Sarah on Thursday - I have no time to be tired!!!


RitterBlog said...

You crossed a big finish line! Deep breathes! What an amazing patient and person you have been! An inspiration to so many including me. What a relief to have the chemo and radiation phases over, not to mention most of the surgeries. It surely has peen a marathon of sorts. I suppose the focus of your blog will start to transition now -- less cancer treatment to write about. By the same token, when you started your "Experience of a Lifetime" blog you said the "cancer does not define you." And so it was always meant to a blog about more! There is so much more too. Your cancer, our cancer, left us both blessed
with the greater appreciation of that. Although, as odd as it is to say, I have many special, dare I say happy memories of this cancer experience.

Because of the nature of this disease we will be reminded for years to come that every day, and every moment in every day is a gift. Life is a blessing from the start, but a cancer survivor experience gives you back your life a second time and makes it more apparent what a blessing it is and that you are!

happy memories of the cancer road.

Lisa Buglione said...

What a fun packed full weekend you had! Just don't over do it Mary, your body is still healing. I am so happy for you that your radiation treatments are over! Yippie, another step done! Love ya, Lisa. Hope to see you soon... very soon.