Tuesday, February 15, 2011


I've had some difficulty keeping up with this blog this week.  As I've experienced as I've gone along, things are not getting easier but harder.  Longer to recoup, but recoup I will!

A good part of Sunday night was spent being hungry and hitting the bathroom.  I continue to expel water every 2 hours because of the saline, I think.  Hunger?  The only thing I can figure to cause this is the extra Zofran I took on Saturday to curb the nausea.  I won't be doing that again!

Yesterday, I desperately tried to work some in the morning, but couldn't keep my mind on anything.  I was pretty well rested because of my 'sleep' Sunday, but I had a terrible taste in my mouth and felt 'hungry' in some weird sort of way.  I would eat one mouthful and it would taste good, then immediately not be able to taste it again.  I went through my day like this.  I think I actually overcompensated by eating literally one or two bites of a dozen different things. 

I went to see Heather, my massage therapist, to try to alleviate some of the back pain associated with the neulasta.  She spent time working out my kinks and pains.  I felt entirely renewed when I left.  It is amazing
what the power of touch can do for your body and mind.  I walked in with my stomach feeling not so good, but left 100% better.  I made dinner from 'The Gift of Meat' for Valentine's Day... can't go to the grocery store, so I had to opt for what was in the freezer.  Luckily, we had just made a trip to Trader Joe's so there was plenty to choose from.  'The Gift of Meat' came from Omaha Steaks - the office holiday gift this year.  I could actually taste the food, which I thought was a good sign.  Sleep was the same... 2 hours and up to the bathroom.

Today, I had to get some work done that I couldn't do yesterday.  I made it through until about noon and finished the job, but had such chest heaviness and pain that I had to lay down.  I couldn't seem to shake it all afternoon.  By 4:30 or so, I felt a bit better, but still not normal.  I'm sitting here updating the blog, laying on the sofa and trying to relax. 

It's Tuesday night and I'm not dancing... all part of the plan, not that I like it.  Tomorrow's Wednesday ... another day.

1 comment:

DOI said...

Yes, Mary, there is a cumulative effect to the chemo, both physically and emotionally, which you are feeling now -- unfortunately. The other side of the coin is that at this stage you are nearer to the end of the treatments. All the regular things you are able to do in spite of the side effects are amazing to me. Always remember that you have lots of people rooting for you!